[XviD-devel] Shift Histograms

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Mon May 11 11:01:21 CEST 2009

Hi,

Xvid's RGB <-> YUV conversions have been designed to be fast. It is known
that they aren't precise (especially the MMX versions). So if you measure
a ~1% deviation this may not be a big surprise.

The implementation in C should be more precise. So for a test you may want
to disable MMX/SSE optimizations in the xvid GUI and check whether the
C-code provides better results.

In general especially the YUV -> RGB conversions have been included into
xvid at a time when graphics cards with YUV overlay support were not the
norm and when low-end PC processors still had a hard time to decode PAL
resolution video in realtime. So the primary goal was to make the
conversions fast to enable fluent playback...

Regards,
Michael