[XviD-devel] Questions / Bug fixes / Patches

Marcin Jaworski indrid at o2.pl
Mon Aug 30 15:30:24 CEST 2010

Quoting Carl Eric Codere:
> Greetings,
>          But i don't think my patch was applied, should it be applied? Have you confirmed that it causes problems in some players or not? On my side, I thoughr it would cause problems (I am converting the Xvid streams to MP4 streams using mp4box, but it seems after testing that i could not reproduce the problem...
>
> Best regards,
> Carl

It is sufficient to use frame_drop_ratio == -1, that will take care of
the "<=" in line 1887 (line 1178 uses the same method).

There have been some reports (on Doom9, I think) about problems with
N-VOPs (the real ones, not Packed Bitstream) on standalone players. But
these were AVI files... If a player is smart enough to play MP4 (like
those few players with Nero Digital certification), it may be smart
enough to cope with N-VOPs.

Some patches that disable N-VOPs with frame_drop_ratio == 0 have been
floating around before, but I thought it would be better to retain the
original behavior of 0 and use -1 to turn off N-VOPs. It seemed
reasonable to keep the official API as it is instead of redefining it. I
must admit I haven't tested the behavior of my own DVD player with
N-VOPs, but I think users should have the possibility of disabling them
if they wish it (flexibility has always been a part of the open source
philosophy).

Best regards,
Marcin Jaworski