[XviD-devel] [Feature Request] Global first and second passes

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Mon Feb 8 12:37:20 CET 2010

Hi,

I don't think this is something that should be done in xvid. This should be
handled by the application (perhaps as an extension to a batch-processing
feature) or implemented as a seperate tool.

So what would be needed is a tool that can open multiple first pass stats
files, asks for a global desired size and then outputs the optimal file
sizes that should be used for the single "segments" during second pass.

Another option would be to simply encode the multiple episodes as one large
video and cut the resulting file into pieces afterwards. Under windows, you
can easily concatenate multiple source files so that they are opened as one
long video with avisynth:

DirectShowSource("test_001.avi",fps=25)+\
DirectShowSource("test_002.avi",fps=25)+\
DirectShowSource("test_020.avi",fps=25)

You'd then run just one first-pass (over all your source files at once),
then one second-pass (setting your desired overall target size) and finally
cut the resulting avi file into individual avi files (e.g. using VirtualDub).

Regards,
Michael