[XviD-devel] autoconf issues

Fabian Greffrath fabian at greffrath.com
Fri Feb 25 12:01:51 CET 2011

Am 25.02.2011 11:03, schrieb Michael Militzer:
> thanks for your comments. Our linux build server is running CentOS 5.5,
> so that's not so ancient. On this box, autoconf is however still v2.59.

It's still based on RHEL 5 from 2007. So it's a recent point release,
but still old software. ;)

> I therefore think that older autoconf versions like 2.59 may still be
> widely in use. So I wonder: Will we not run into other incompatibility
> issues when updating config.guess and config.sub?

I don't think this will cause incompatiblities. These scripts do only
print out the canonical name of the target platform and generally
platform codes are only added or improved. It is general practice in
Debian packages to automatically replace these scripts with the recent
ones from the autotools-dev package.

> And can you confirm that the patch to configure.in you propose is needed
> only for newer autoconf versions? Because the pthread check in configure
> actually seems to work fine here...

I believe that more recent autoconf versions are stricter when it
comes to parsing their input code, so yes, autoconf 2.59 may still be
in use for configure.in files that are not yet adapted and checked for
syntax errors. There is even a separate autoconf 2.59 package in
Debian that I could try to run against configure.in, but whatever this
leads to, the paragraph in configure.in that I pointed you to is
faulty syntax anyway.

  - Fabian