[Xvid-devel] flashing icon in system tray during thumbnail extraction

Rev. Chris Korda victimofleisure at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 06:37:27 CEST 2011

During thumbnail extraction, for each thumbnail that's handled by XviD, the
XviD icon is inserted into the system tray and then immediately removed
again. This causes the system tray to rapidly alternate between two
different sizes, which in turn causes all the taskbar items to bounce back
and forth. It's scary if you're not expecting it, because it looks like
something a malware would do. The XviD icon is hard to see clearly because
it's flashing so fast, and it's usually not possible to click on it either.

This problem was observed under XP SP2 using XviD 1.3.2, and occurs both for
Explorer's thumbnails and app-specific thumbnail extractions. I was
previously using 1.2.2 and it didn't exhibit this behavior.

My suggestion FWIW is that 1) XviD should not display an icon in the system
tray during thumbnail extraction, and 2) there should be a way to completely
disable XviD's use of the system tray. Most applications that use the system
tray also include a method for disabling that usage. The most obvious place
for it would be a "Show icon in system tray" (or "Show icon in taskbar")
checkbox in the XviD configuration dialog.

Best regards,

Chris Korda