[Xvid-devel] PSNR, Bitrate of Full Search and other algorithms

Chien Tran chien.study at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 18:28:29 CEST 2012

Thank you for your answer. The Rate-Distortion Optimization is turned off
completely. I was surprised at the result because in many scientific papers
about motion estimation, they often compare the PSNR and the bit rate with
Full Search algorithm to evaluate the performance of new algorithm. And in
my experiment result with the new algorithm, the UM Hexagon algorithm that
is used in H.264 (and I personally think that this is an quite advanced
algorithm)  also gives quite similar PSNR and bit rate compared with Full
Search, that make me feel unsure about my algorithm because mine is very
simple and much more simpler than the UMHexagon algorithm, but the bitrate
is so different (ex. the Full Search is 526.6 kbits/s, UMhexagon is
526.61kbits/s, and my algorithm is 426.68 kbits/s).

Regards,