[Xvid-devel] PSNR, Bitrate of Full Search and other algorithms

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Fri Jun 15 19:04:08 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Chien Tran <chien.study at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's what makes me worry. I only implement the full pel motion estimation
> and disable sub-pel on other algorithms. Not only the PSNR is higher, but
> the bit rate is also significantly smaller (Ex: 520kbit/s with UMHexagon
> and 430kbit/s with new algorithm). Actually, I implement this algorithm on
> JM Reference Software, and the PSNR and the ME time are calculated
> automatically when encoding the video. Therefore I think the PSNR and
> bitrate are correct.

You didn't even run a regression test to confirm that the bitstream
was still valid?

You might have also broken something by disabling subpel that you
didn't intend to.

Odds are very high (99.9%) that your results here are not real; you
should go to your utmost efforts to show that they aren't, as anyone
should do with any seemingly impossible results before assuming
they're valid.

Also, the JM reference is terrible; implement this in a real encoder first.

Jason