[Xvid-devel] Xvid encodings and nvop

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Wed Apr 16 14:37:45 CEST 2014

Hi Elio,

I haven't verified with xvid_encraw right now but I believe there are just
two ways how nvops can be introduced:

1) packed b-frames: In packed b-frame mode there are fake nvops written
to the output by the encoder. Those are not real nvops but are rather
supposed to be totally ignored by the decoder. As such it is not really
a proper use of nvops but it's become the defacto standard how the b-frame
encoder delay got handled with the AVI container. If you don't want to
mux your output into AVI, use the "-nopacked" switch and there should be
no fake nvops added anymore.

2) dropped frames: If the encoder is allowed to drop frames, it will output
an nvop whenever a frame got dropped. Frame dropping in xvid_encraw is
controlled via the "-drop" switch. If set to "0" (=no frame drops), there
should be no frames that get dropped and hence also no nvops produced.

Best regards,
Michael