[Xvid-devel] xvid_encraw: AVI output >2 GB?

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Tue Jul 7 10:18:53 CEST 2015

Greetings.

Is it correct that xvid_encraw does not support OpenDML AVI output, hence
limits created AVIs to 2 GB?

And because it is an "example project", it is probably never planned to be
supported?

Would it be necessary to either prefer ffmpeg/mencoder with linked libxvid
to encode directly to a large AVI, or let xvid_encraw create a raw m4v
file and use a supporting multiplexer (probably only ffmpeg) later?

The latter will have the disadvantage that a following multiplexer needs
to get told the FourCCs to be filled in the AVI header (except it would
derive them from the m4v input format). I guess that the second FourCC (in
the compression field of the BITMAPINFOHEADER structure) will be the only
relevant for most players; but I can't be certain that no software ever
will check the first FourCC too (the "used encoder" in the "vids" chunk).
I found that ffmpeg as AVI multiplexer will use a forced FourCC via
"-vtag" parameter, but apply both the same, whereas the VfW uses distinct
FourCCs (lowercase "xvid" in "vids" chunk and uppercase "XVID" in
compression field).

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer