[XviD-users] Building on an IMac Intel

pete pross at xvid.org
Sun Feb 26 03:02:49 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:04:43 +1000 Tate Jones <tate at bluedog.com.au> wrote:
> I continued further with the following error.  Any ideas?
>

>    L: libxvidcore.a
> ranlib: file: libxvidcore.a(timer.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libxvidcore.a(timer.o) has no symbols

timer.c is used for profiling activities, and only contains symbols when
PROFILING is defined.

you should be able to ignore these warnings. if not, try removing the
"utils/timer.c" entry from xvidcore/build/sources.inc.

>    L: libxvidcore.so.4
> /usr/bin/ld: libxvidcore.so-temp.o has local relocation entries in
> non-writable section (__TEXT,__text)
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [libxvidcore.so.4] Error 1

hmm, can you provide some more information on the error, for example,
which object file this error applies to (ie, enable "--verbose" with ld).

-- pete