[XviD-devel] Bframes quant ratio

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:57:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

does anyone know why people keep using a _ratio_ for bframe quantizers?

So why is the quantizer calculated by multiplying, not by adding?
E.g. a ratio of 200 means quant 2-> bquant 4, and quant 3 -> bquant 6,
fine. But 5->10 and 6 -> 12 is too much of a difference already in my
eyes.

I think good encoding should stay in the area below quant 10. For higher
quant, there is hardly any gain in filesize anymore, but degrading
quality. I can't see why this should be different for Bframes.
To achieve Bquant <=10 it would be useful to just use
bquant = quant + something (something = 1,2,3),
not bquant = quant * something

I'm asking because I am just doing tests for all quant, all max_bfraems,
all bquant_ratio and it seems that for low quantizers bframes behave
better than for large ones. This might be because of too large difference
between P and B frames.

Christoph H. Lampert chl@math,uni-bonn,de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 14 Tel. (0228) 73-2948 | nell erstellt und bedarf
Sprechstunden: keine, aber meistens da    | keiner Unterschrift. AZ 27B-6