[XviD-devel] todo/action list

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:00:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, peter ross wrote:

> hey all.
> while we've twidling our thumbs, let's make a todo/action list.
> ---

My #1 point on a todo list is:

* Decide on future development "structure" of XVID before taking any
  other action. The current way of adding features by #ifdef'ing or not
  is ugly and now may be the right time to change "big things".

I few possible ideas to be mentioned:

* Create a "patch" mailing list where people without CVS write access
  are supposed to send patches.

* Create a "production" sourcetree of current XVID API 2.1 with all
  references to BFRAMES removed. No development should be done within
  this, only bugs fixed if the are found. If we can handle licensing,
  a binary version could be provided.

* Create a "development" sourcetree based on API 3.0 for new features.
  As said this is for "development", it could contain a big red warning
  that it should not be used for encoding of material that is supposed to
  be playable later. Bframes and Qpel should be parts.
  "Development" is the place where new features are implemented and
  tested. Snapshots should be published regularly, but only in source.

* There is no "user support" for "development" branch, because it's not
  directed to users, but to "testers. Bug reports are of course very
  welcome.

* The homepage should have a FAQ section (easy to find) and state clearly,
  that questions like "I have no picture when playing XVID, only
  sound" are not supposed to be asked here (and will most likely be
  ignored), but e.g. at doom9.net   There have been quite a lot of these
  questions to contact@xvid.org lately, since the homepage was "shut
  down".

Christoph