[XviD-devel] image pre-processing

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:16:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Marc FD wrote:

> Hi ^^
>
> i've some experience in image filtering,and i know how works
> many avisynth/VDub filters, so i think i'll start to do this part.
>
> first, i've a question :
>
> >> do we want encoder-independant denoising ??
> + cool for linux (and "joe") users
> + no additionnal compexity in encoder (just 1 call/frame)
> + cool stuff to add in interface ^^
> - interface even bigger
> - bigger source code/binaries
>
> WARNING, it's not for compressibility !!
> only to improve noisy source encoding.

I'd say, prefiltering is _not_ an integral part of the encoder,
it should be separate code, a separate imageprocessing library.
Much code for this is already available under GPL.

But the encoder could contain some pre-processing and post-processing
options, too, which should be done as calls to the imageprocessing
library.

That way, we don't need to invent the wheel for the 10th time, and still
can use internal data structures to control pre-processing parameters.

gruel