[XviD-devel] image pre-processing

Marc FD xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:45:03 +0100

> I'd say, prefiltering is _not_ an integral part of the encoder,
> it should be separate code, a separate imageprocessing library.
> Much code for this is already available under GPL.
>
> But the encoder could contain some pre-processing and post-processing
> options, too, which should be done as calls to the imageprocessing
> library.
>
> That way, we don't need to invent the wheel for the 10th time, and still
> can use internal data structures to control pre-processing parameters.

okay, that's why i asked.

i'm mainly interessed in encoder-dependant prefiltering, and you can't make
that an external part of XviD, because it doesn't exist and is deeply
related
to the encoding process.

BTW, i'm reading the paper mfa linked on doom9.
i think nic readed it, because his postproc is exactly the described one ^^
it talks of a pre-processing method who seems really cool.
i've some little ideas, but the guy worked on it for his phd thesis,
it'll be better than anything that i can empiricaly do ^^

if i understand how the whole thing work, i'll implement this
prefiltering method into XviD.