[XviD-devel] [TODOLIST ITEM] Bit rate controler module

Vincent GOMEZ xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:39:33 +0100 (MET)

pete has written:
> please continue with your api.
>
> questions:
> * is your ratecontrol lib going to be seperate of libxvidcore or
> internal? if its going to be external, i wonder what the ffmpeg chaps
> would think about using it too?

It will be internal, that's why i'm loosing so much time. I was used to do it the external way, now i have to do it the internal way, that ' why i'm confused about what needs to be user settings land and what is private to the rc module.

> * when you speak of the 'stats format' are you refering to the api
> structure (ie. XVID_ENC_STATS) or the file format (ie. nandub .stats)?

Talking about the parameters of the rc function, the stats file's format will be pure text, space delimiters, one line per frame, easy to parse, easy to import in other tools (including excel or gnuplot, gnumeric ...). At the moment i'm logging what the members of xvid stats structure, but i think that with API3 it will be good to log all frame parameters as well.

I have a request concerning encoder.c... could you please homogenize the frame types used in it... there's the frame->intra, the mode used by MEAnalysis... and perhaps other variables representing the frame type. I would like to have all them using the defines I/P/B_VOP instead of hardcoded 0/1/2 values. It would be nice to rewrite encoder_encode_bframes, it became a mess, and i fear no one really understands it well.

--
Edouard Gomez>