[XviD-devel] qpel decoding

Michael Militzer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:30:28 +0200

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christoph Lampert" <chl@math.uni-bonn.de>
To: <xvid-devel@xvid.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] qpel decoding

> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Michael Militzer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > @gruel: can you send me a copy of your integer ME please? I will then
also
> > look into qpel encoding support again...
>
> "Dein Wunsch ist mir Befehl!" (anyone with a good translation, please
> send it to me) ;-)

babelfish suggests: "Your desire is me instruction!" ;-)

> Voila, it's in CVS (and has been for several days, sorry if I didn't
> announce it) It's of course called PMVfastIntSearch16 enabled just as
> usual by -DSEARCH16=PMVfastIntSearch16 when compiling.
> Results are as expected (at least they were a few days ago): Slightly
> worse in some cases, slightly slightly better in others.
> There's no real reason to switch to it by default, but it would be too
> bad, either.

ok, thanks

> The routine might not be thread-save and surely isn't completely optimized
> (I recently changed ME prototypes for easier B-frames support and didn't
> adapt all routines, but it should _run_ and _work_ without problems).
>
> I don't remember exactly, but I guess there is no SEARCH8 yet. That's
> because I still plan to clean up all this different ME routines mess.

search16 is sufficient for now. I just want to have something working at
first to test my different ideas how qpel encoding could become fast. If a
final structure is ready, we still can decide then which ME method to use...

Michael