Zero Frame Drop (was: Re: [XviD-devel] inter48x48)

Marc FD xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 00:55:23 +0200

> Either the code is GPL, then you have to give to source code to whoever
> asks for it (e.g. me) and you can't state in the license that the sources
> are not available. Or it's not, then don't claim it is.
>
> So, what's the status? Because I sure won't add any features to XviD for
> somebody who claims his code is GPLed code, but doesn't act like it!

sorry :(
you get me wrong : i'll give the code to anyone claims it.
The fact is when i writed this i was creating a new CopySame
every day, so i wanted to release it very fast and didn't had the
time to add stuff like legal headers, GPL license, ect..
since i wasn't even sure that i wouldn't change the code
the day after !! It was a way to gain a lot of time in the beta
stage. but now my beta 9 (4 times completely rewritten)
is stable, fast and accurate, so i would make it
CopySame v1.0 under GPLv2 of course.

Sorry i know it's tricky. It's like if i said : this filter
would be under GPL as soon as it worth it...

But i never wanted to make a non-GPL version :
see my others filters : See,Cnr2,ect.. are all under
GPLv2 with the sources :))

I hope you would understand.

(please don't laugh when u will see the source :
i know it's a _very_ simple filter ;)

>ZERO: 290080     -17.7%              44.70   132.6 fps  +7.8%
>DROP: 281280     -21.6%   -3.0%      44.59   113.5 fps  -7.7%

How did you exactly made your test ??
(res,fps,encoder,XviD version,ect...)
Have you take a look to the test i made ??
I think DROP is made manualy, right ??

3% more ?? i'm sure in 640x480, you could gain at least 5% :
a non-dropped zero frame was habitually 7000 bytes big in my test
maybe it's due to the 2-pass mode and the length of the clip too....
but i must say this test give better results than mine (15% improvement)

I think each improvement is good to take :)
Did you activated ESPZ(^2) in this test ??

Still wanting to made real-life tests. MarcFD  marc.fd@libertysurf.fr

PS : Need i really to send you the source of the stat-detector-algo ??
it's only 9 lines long...

void save_funct :
take 1% pixels of frame (n)
save it in a buffer.

bool iszframe_function
test 1% pixels of frame (n) with frame (n-1)
if the 1% pixels ALL match  |p(n)-p(n-1)|==0
return true else return false.

It as simple as that. should work well.
I think you really not need the help of s.o. else
to code this :))