[XviD-devel] "Automatic" settings

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:12:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

with the new features in branch, we should start working on another
target: Usability/User friendlyness! It's impossible that Joe User who may
not even be able write the word "Quarterpel" would know what it means and
when to activate it. Even us programmers don't know when Quarterpel lowers
filesize and when it doesn't...

I would suggest we try to create some kind of "automatic" mode for
some of the flags: Either based on heuristics (like dynamic bframes: "long
MVs -> no bframes") or on simple trial and error (encode the first frame
after an I-VOP with and without a feature like QPel/GMC, use the best
combination for all other frames of this sequence.

Then the GUI could have buttons like "Auto" for every special feature,
and if the user changes this to "On" or "Off" it's his own fault.

gruel

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, it's already possible to encode the same frame
twice, because reference picture is not overwritten until next
encoder_encode(), right?