[XviD-devel] "Automatic" settings

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:31:13 +1100

>From: Christoph Lampert <chl@math.uni-bonn.de>
>Hi,

g'day

>with the new features in branch, we should start working on another
>target: Usability/User friendlyness! It's impossible that Joe User who may
>not even be able write the word "Quarterpel" would know what it means and
>when to activate it. Even us programmers don't know when Quarterpel lowers
>filesize and when it doesn't...

i like michael's idea of having a profile selection box, which lets
the user limit encoding features to the selected profile.

>I would suggest we try to create some kind of "automatic" mode for
>some of the flags: Either based on heuristics (like dynamic bframes: "long
>MVs -> no bframes") or on simple trial and error (encode the first frame
>after an I-VOP with and without a feature like QPel/GMC, use the best
>combination for all other frames of this sequence.
>
>Then the GUI could have buttons like "Auto" for every special feature,
>and if the user changes this to "On" or "Off" it's his own fault.

dan suggested something like this, an XVID_ENC_RENCODE function,
which reencodes the data using a different configuration.
the problem is, that quant_type, gmc, and qpel are all vol-based
parameters. its unknown whether changing these during a video
sequence is permited by the mpeg-4 standard.

>P.S. If I'm not mistaken, it's already possible to encode the same frame
>twice, because reference picture is not overwritten until next
>encoder_encode(), right?

the current frame is overwritten with the compensated data, but
there shouldnt be much work changing this.

-- pete

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN!