[XviD-devel] "Automatic" settings

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:04:33 +1100

>From: "Michael Militzer" <michael@xvid.org>
>yes, it seems ok to me to place VOL headers at I-frames (different VOs in a
>row then). However we also write a VOL-header for p-frames if quantizer
>type
>changes in "modulated quant" mode. I'm pretty sure this is not ok (but it
>could be easily fixed by removing the "modulated quant" option, imho
>there's
>no gain from it anyway)...

okay.

so we need a XVID_MULTI_VOL flag, which causes vol to be written
at each ivop. for avi file encoding, this flag should be set.
when XVID_MULTIPLE_VOL is set, some kind 'vol change detector' in
required, which emits a vol (and forces a keyframe) when vol-based
settings change. e.g. interlacing, quarterpel, quant_type, etc.

in doing this, i think we need to seperate encoding parameters/flags
into three groups.
a) encoder instance based flags: XVID_BFRAMES, XVID_PACKED, XVID_MULTI_VOL,
etc.
b) frame based flags: XVID_INTERLACING, XVID_CUSTOM_QMATRIX, etc.
c) motion flags: ...

-- pete