[XviD-devel] qpel+bframes

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:56:03 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Michael Militzer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I'm sure that this is no decoding problem (verified using fdam) and it
> > doesn't matter if qpel is switched on or not. So it's either a problem in
> me
> > or mc. Maybe the problems with interpolated mode + qpel are also caused by
> > this...
>
> ok, obviously the trails are unavoidable, but maybe it would be a good idea
> to favourize forward/backward mode over direct/interpolated mode if we have
> a high quant value?

interpolated mode should automatically hardly be used for high quant
(because it has two vectors, and there gets twice the vector penalties
which are bigger for higher quants).

And direct mode _should_ be used, because it's somehow the main power of
b-frames: to interpolate motion linearly without need for vectors and thus
saving bits.

gruel