[XviD-devel] Re: Multithreaded encode

David E Leatherdale xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:31:24 +0000

> Hi,
>
> is there a multithreaded encoding application for Windows?
> Not a multithreaded codec, but an application that does "cluster"
> encode:
> Cut input into parts, encode them individually, join them in the end?
>
> Its not really a feature for XVID, rather of the application that also
> handles two-pass. Maybe VfW could have a feature for it? On linux, there
> could be a wrapper in 2pass-lib, or the feature could be added to
> ordinary transcode cluster mode.
>
> gruel

Should be possible using external stats processing. Im currently working on
pausing and resuming 2pass encodes in a windows application (nearly done now
file size predictability is still very good in fact the only time it deviated
it ended up nearer by target file size then encoding it in one go). Should be
possible to extend this work to do what you want on SMP boxes. It wont be
accurate with internal stats scaling as you dont know how big each part will
be. Ill take a look when i finish my current work.

Only problem is i have no way to access the 2nd stats file (and mv hints
information) in the vfw config struct is it possible these could be moved to
the begining of the struct at a fixed location like the first 4 members were
for vidomi.

DaveEL