[XviD-devel] vfw 2pass stats

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:17:22 +0200

Dirk Knop (dknop@gwdg.de) wrote:
> So to join the proposals made, the stats file could look like this:
>
> Frame No. | total bytes | texture bytes (or bits) | Frame Type | Frame
> Quant [|kblk|mblk|ublk (imho not necessary)]
> 000001 | 1024 |  1024 | I | 2 | [680|0|0]
> 000002 | 96 | 0 | P | 2 | [0|0|680]

1 -  forget about the |  symbols, it's better to  use single separator
char (ie space 0x20 in our case).

2 -  We must  precise framenumber in  decoding order  framenumber, not
encoding order else we'll have problems :)

3 - u/k/m  blocks could be useful.  I remember a  paper (which url was
given  in  this  list)  that  was  talking about  a  good  frame  size
approximation using  numbers of  zeros written in  bit stream  for dct
blocks.  u/k/mblocks   can  be  used  to  estimate   number  of  zeros
written. But  we could try to  implment this paper rc  and then change
u/b/kblocks to just a "zero bits written in stream for dct"

Did someone  try to  implement this  ? Otherwise i'll  like to  try it
myself.

4 -  Concerning I/P/B decision,  2pass should have total  control over
encoder,  else 2pass  algorithms will  just be  fooled by  the encoder
behaviour.

--
Edouard Gomez