[XviD-devel] Include ffdshow code in XviD CVS ??

Milan Cutka xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:37:10 +0200

C> Just brainstorming here ( dont jump on me if you dont like the idea ) :

C> Milan Cutka's ffdshow is working great and very stable. Why is there no way
C> of merging the 2 projects, or at least use the ffdshow code for XviD CVS,
C> maybe stripped off all the things xvid didnt need, like resizing or MPEG2
C> playback ? ffdshow is GPL, same as XviD, so no license conflict either .

Thank you, but I'm not very sure if ffdshow is so stable. For me it
works quite good, but there are some bugs reported for different OS or
video cards. Also it often crashes on Win98 - I've installed Win98 to
test, but have find a way how to access NTFS partition where I'm
developing ffdshow...

But if you would find some ffdshow's filters (like noise) useful, then
feel free to add it to XviD DShow.

C> I just have the feeling that valuable effort is made double here,
C> and this cant be the sense behind opensource ? Forgive me if i
C> missed an important point here, simply ignore this mail in this
C> case

When I included Nic's postprocessing to ffdshow, he wanted to
discontinue his XviD DirectShow filter. But it's still very useful,
because of it's small: has less features but also has fewer bugs. And
it has 100 KB installer.

   Milan