AW: [XviD-devel] win32 xvid_stat crash

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:37:19 +1000

>Ok, finally got it compiled under windows, thanks for the hint with
>Wordpad.
>
>The application crashes at line 84 in mem_aign.c (core), alignment=16,
>size=520
>		if ((tmp = (uint8_t *) malloc(size + alignment)) != NULL)
>calling function at line 194 in encoder.c (core)
>	pEnc = (Encoder *) xvid_malloc(sizeof(Encoder), CACHE_LINE);
>The outermost calling function is at line 343 in main.c (xvid_stat) with
>use_assembler=0
>	status = enc_init(use_assembler)
>
>My test input file is the cactus from CVS, I did not include any
>preprocessor definitions for core or xvid_stat.

yep. i just ran some tested stable-xvidcore with xvid_stat and my
other rawenc/dec testing tools. _all_ programs crash/segfault at
the first malloc() called after xvid_init(). ive traced this back to
init_vlc_tables(): it appears to be illegally accessing memory,
which destroys the runtime-heap memory managemet code.

the dev-xvidcore compiles and works fine; this bug was obviously
introduced during the stable cleanup. i am not familar with this
function (michael wrote it). could someone try valigrinding the function??

-- pete