[XviD-devel] UCI : a open standard, x-platform VfW replacement ?

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:20:48 +1000

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to hear your opinion here guys :
>
>http://uci.sourceforge.net

my opinion:

  currently there's way too many bloated media frameworks. e.g. video
  for windows, directshow (aka activemovie), direct media objects,
  gstreamer, and quicktime. with the exception of VfW, very few 3rd-
  party applications use these frameworks.instead 3rd party applications
  (such as winamp, xmmms, mplayer/encoder, transcoder, realone)
  generally provide their own plugin apis.

  so if you have, for example an audio decoder, and want people to use
  it, you must write frontends/wrappers for atleast three apis to
  achieve compatibility.

  VfW is very popular for many reason: its simple to use, widely
  supported by encoder and decoders, and has been mature for about a
  decade. only recently have issues regarding bi-directial bframes and
  non-CBR audio has been raised.

  you should try and get support (ideas, comments, etc.) from the
  people most likely to use the api. eg. winamp, xmms, transcode,
  virtualdub, mplayer, xvid, ffmpeg, lame, faad, flac, etc.

  also:
  earlier in the year i sent a "VFW-extensions-api proposal to avery
  lee (virtualdub) and eugene kuznetsov (divxnetworks). iirc, we talked
  about 2pass api support and the abilities pause/continue encoding.

>1. How difficult was it to adapt XviD such that it supports both, VfW and
>UCI ( is this possible at all ) ?

  easy. xvid already supports vfw, dshow, transcode and mplayer/encoder
  (also quicktime partially).

>2. Would you put this in CVS if there was a working, stable version for
>such

  yep. i dont see why not.

-- pete