[XviD-devel] api 3 merge

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:08:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, peter ross wrote:

> hello,
>
> i would like to merge the new api, or atleast parts of it, such
> that we can get rid of all these bframes macros. any suggestions on
> how to do that, whichout causing too much trouble?
> e.g
>
> - in its current form: lots of functionality will be broken, but
>     iam hoping ppl can help fix that quickly.

_If_ we want to do it, then let's do it now, because the branch is
development and that's what we are going to do: Develop.
However, there should be a good description avaible what has changed
and in what way, because not everybody follows changes in every other part
of the code.

Do you know _what_ functionality will be broken?

> - spend more time, clean it up, commit it all-in-one-go & cross
>     my fingers that nothing breaks. i did this back in december
>     wtth xvidcore, but the api was significantly simplier.

I guess this would need time till december again?

> - piece-by-piece: gradual changeover, meaning the api will
>     be changing frequently. probably would start by removing with the
>     decoder or rate control.

Don't like it. Changing API is less work for VfW, but for Linux people,
every change of API means having to adapt calling applications :(
I don't like that...

> also, since this is dev-api we can remove all the #def bframes,
> right?

Yes, BFRAMES should be default, so all files should behave as if
BFRAMES was defined (and check for BFRAMES removed).

gruel