[XviD-devel] [RFC] kthresholding in 2pass2

Dirk Knop dknop at gwdg.de
Mon Dec 1 18:06:09 CET 2003

Hi all,

as far as I can see it, the images are really changing that much (i.e.
luminance changes).
We introduced that feature mainly for low-bitrate encodings, therefore
the default bitrate reduction of 20% for ivops then - those keyframes
were producing much overflow which then prdouced "overquantized" scenes.
I agree that this isn't a usual case and therefore the defaults were a
little high - we more or less forgot to reset them to 0%.

I think it's still a useful feature as if those sequences aren't
avoidable (and xvid got really good in that matter now) it should still
be possible to save some bits there (i.e. 5 iframes with quant 4 in a
row stack up 50kb of overflow where the first 4 iframes aren't really
visible when watching the result - so they could be quant 5 as well and
maybe we even get the bonus of 20 kb more to spend on the scene).

I don't know if yyou wanted such an explanation, but i felt i describe
this for Edouard as well.

I'll write a summary of bugreports on doom9's forum later btw. so that
we can see if  some were already fixed, if some are important and others
can be dropped completely ( i expect beta 2 soon ;) ).

Best reards
Koepi