[XviD-devel] Re: License/legal discussions

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Dec 21 21:42:40 CET 2003

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, charact3r wrote:
> "[...] If you cannot distribute so as to
> satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this
> License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a
> consequence you may not distribute the Program at
> all."

I know that this can be read in different ways: Either,
you are allowed to distribute until a court stops you
(maybe being contacted by the patent holder would be enough),
or, the public announcement that a license fee is needed for
distribution is already obligation enough.
I don't know what FSF says about this. I know e.g. that
may Linux distritbutions contain MP3 stuff, but RedHad stopped
inclusion of those a while ago.
Jan, have you lawyers told you anything on this?

Still, the situation is stupid, and a license which essentially demands a
software to be patent free is bad for an application like XviD.
And, I still don't think this is related to commercial/noncommercial.
This is a general question of redistribution.

Christoph