[XviD-devel] cvs structure

suxen_drol suxen_drol at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 18:27:25 CET 2003

hi everyone,

---
to uManiac:
last week we merged the dev-api-3 tree back into the CVS_HEAD.
people are complaining that your auto-compiled 'stable' builds are no
longer stable and in-fact developer builds. oouch!
---

here's is how i envisage future use of the xvidcore project: we use
three tiers of development.

"stable": where the code appears to be stable enough for public release.
we tag the cvs in the form "release_$major_$minor_$patch".
important: i think we should have a "release" tag, which always points
to the latest release.

"unstable": CVS_HEAD us used for current development, where we add new
code and commit patches. its developmental, which means it should always
compile, but the output bitstream can't be fully trusted. naturally, we
encourage people to test unstable, so eventually it can be made stable.

"experimental": this is where we branch off (ie. dev-api-3), and work on
something. we do this, so that we can experiment with radical ideas
and/or apply major-changes without affecting the normal development team.
when the autors are satisifed, they can merge their changes back into
CVS_HEAD.

dev-api-3 was a bit awkward, because we tried to stablize the
bframes, qpel and gmc, but it proved to be too big to manage. ideally,
experimental stuff should be strictly focused, such that they dont get
out of control!

---
to uManiac:
i suggest you provide a stable release by using "cvs co -r release" and
a unstable release by using "cvs co". experimental builds, with the
exception of dev-api-3, shouldn't be made downloadable to the public.
---

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo