[XviD-devel] Status of...

Michael Militzer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 00:50:30 +0100

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "suxen_drol" <suxen_drol@hotmail.com>
To: <xvid-devel@xvid.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] Status of...

[...]

> > the branch at all, which is supposed to become ASP? I'm asking because
> > I don't know how to combine GMC and reduced resolution. Is it possible
> > at all? What happens to the prediction vectors etc.?
>

> the specification does not describe how they are combined either.
> reduced + qpel/gmc/interlacing is forbidden (unless we want to propose a
> mpeg-4 ammendment..)

iirc, rrv is advanced realtime profile which has none of the more advanced
mpeg-4 tools (means no bframes, no qpel and no gmc). So while reduced
resolution might give some benefit (over pure simple profile), it should
always be inferior to an ASP stream. Therefore the reduced resolution
feature is quite useless for us imho...

bye,
Michael