[XviD-devel] OBMC decode support patch for dev-api-4

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue May 6 10:47:44 CEST 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Edouard Gomez wrote:

> Christoph Lampert (chl at math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:
> > Hm, are you sure?
> >
> > OBMC is in the ISO Standard, but it isn't part of any MPEG-4 profile, so
> > using OBMC breaks MPEG-4 compatability.  There are no codecs outside that
> > use it, as far as I know, it could be removed from MPEG-4 at any time.
> >
> > Why add a feature that won't be used for decoding and shouldn't be use for
> > encoding?
>
> Ok, let's  add this patch to  my never ever growing  "don't comit" patch
> queue.

I didn't say that. Or maybe I did? Anyway, we should find a policy for
MPEG-4 stuff that isn't in any profile supported by us. At the moment,
that's at least

* reduced resolution
* OBMC

What do you think? Should we include those and add a "compatability
mode" so they aren't used for encoding. Or just throw them out, because we
are not compliant and will just bloat up code?

How about OBMC/RRn just for decoding? I won't be needed, but it wouldn't
hurt, either...