[XviD-devel] big trellis bug

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Mon Nov 24 21:10:53 CET 2003

skal (skal at planet-d.net) wrote:
> 	i've sent GomGom a new code that handles this big
> 	levels separately... should hopefully be ok to fix
> 	the overflow problems...

Yes i'm testing it right now, two notes tho:
 - the red block is still here, no panic ! it's part of the source, but
   it's the first time i noticed it, probably because i was looking for
   similar errors ;-)
 - not sure but it seems to me that kind of optimization:
       if ((uint32_t)signed_value<threshold) which is a trick for
       if (signed_value>=0 && signed_value<threshold)
   was miscompiled by msvc for the GMC code (remember ?) perhaps the
   chroma bug in the Nemo rip was just caused by this type of msvc
   wrong code generation ?

I think the big level (non) optimization is good anyway, so we'll have
two (three in fact) zones:
 - -26<=level<25 (with a specialized loop for {-1, 0, +1})
 - and all other values

Given  the fact  we'll  only look  at  Dist0 for  the  first case,  i'll
probably bump up TL_SHIFT to the old value.

Opinions ?

--
Edouard Gomez