=?gb2312?B?UmU6IFJlOiBSZTogW1h2aUQtZGV2ZWxdIG9wdGltaXplIHh2aWQgb24=?= =?gb2312?B?IGFybTk=?=

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue Aug 17 14:55:41 CEST 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, daniel wrote:

> Thank you for your kindly message.It is my pleasure to give some
> information.The platform is based on MC9328MXL.The MC9328MXL uses the
> ARM920T microprocessor core which has 16K instruction cache and 16K data
> cache. I just did a little work on encoding .The input image format is
> YUV,4:2:0.
> The encoding speed is ;
> image size : 352*288
> frame per second;about 2.9
> platform :  MC9328MXL
> cpu runs at :150MHz
> ram size :64MB
> os      ;linux
>
> the decoder with pure C could decode 1.9 frame per second(image size is
> 352*288)

Hm, so you get 1.9 fps for _decoding_ (C-only), and 2.9 fps for
_encoding_ when using your speed optimization?

To me thing sounds like you got quite a speedup in encoding, because
usually encoding is much slower than decoding, so pure-C encoding should
have been way below 1fps. If it's not that, then something is wierd in the
decoder.

And, before you spend too much time, I'd like to just tell you what we
had to tell everybody so far who reported to be porting XviD to an
embedded plattform:
XviD is released under GNU General Public License (GPL). If you plan to
derive a project from XviD (including a commercial product), this is only
permitted if you comply to the restriction of GPL, in particular that your
project must be released under GPL as well.
That means that you cannot create a product out of XviD, unless you e.g.
release the sources of your product to everybody who asks for it. Only
releasing what you changed in XviD to make it run on ARM is not
sufficient, although that's a necessary part as well.

So, if you do not plan to make your project available under GPL, you
either cannot release it (selling it to a customer is a form of release
as well), or you have to search for a different codec to use.