[XviD-devel] inter/intra screener

Andrew Voznytsa av at polynet.lviv.ua
Sat Dec 18 08:19:21 CET 2004

IMO it does not depend if (A)SP uses spatial prediction in Intra case or
not. SAD / SBE shows you degree of temporal correlation. In case of low
temporal correlation it's good place to check Intra modes.

I propose the following algorithm prototype:

1) If best Inter cbp is 0 - skip Intra checks at all.
2) compare SBE and best Inter SAD. For example (if up and left edges
available): SAD / 256 * 0.5 > SBE / 32  then try to check Intra modes.
3) test only one Intra mode (i.e. no AC/DC) and compare (RD-) with best
Inter mode. If numbers are more or less close - do Intra refinement
(test other Intra modes).

Best regards,
Andrew Voznytsa