[XviD-devel] Main Profile

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue Jul 6 13:52:31 CEST 2004

Hi guys,

the release of 1.0 seems to have exhausted everyone... it's really quiet
in here. Anyway, let's try to discuss some goals for the future:

I myself a interested in the world of Sports transmissions, where (small
parts of) Main Profile would be useful, in particular Sprite and Object
encoding. E.g. for a soccer match, you then encode all of the playing
field only once, and after that only the tiny players have to move in
front of a scrolling, but not really changing background.
So, the suggestion would be to add some main profile stuff to XviD, and
create possible different versions of slightly more advanced encoders
which do e.g. automatic segmentation into fore- and background. Is anyone
with me on that?

An alternative which I always found challanging is a specialization on
Cartoon/Anime features. I don't know of any research on this topic so far,
but it's clear that MPEG-4 is not and expert on encoding the typical big
rather uniformly colored areas with thin black lines inbetween. The
biggest problem is ringing, I guess.
Again, segmentation might somewhat help, in combination wth adaptive
quatnization, but also specialized pre- and postprocessing would be
interesting to do.