[XviD-devel] Main Profile

iibot iibot at gmx.at
Tue Jul 6 14:42:52 CEST 2004

Christoph Lampert wrote:
> I myself a interested in the world of Sports transmissions, where (small
> parts of) Main Profile would be useful, in particular Sprite and Object
> encoding. E.g. for a soccer match, you then encode all of the playing
> field only once, and after that only the tiny players have to move in
> front of a scrolling, but not really changing background.
> So, the suggestion would be to add some main profile stuff to XviD, and
> create possible different versions of slightly more advanced encoders
> which do e.g. automatic segmentation into fore- and background. Is anyone
> with me on that?
A very good idea. There is a lot of prior work on image segmentation and
mesh-based motion estimation [1]. Just start with implementing some of
the suggested algorithms first.

[1] A. Nosratinia, "New Kernels for Fast Mesh-Based Motion Estimation,"
  IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol.
11, no. 1, Jan. 2001, pp. 40-51.

> An alternative which I always found challanging is a specialization on
> Cartoon/Anime features. I don't know of any research on this topic so far,
> but it's clear that MPEG-4 is not and expert on encoding the typical big
> rather uniformly colored areas with thin black lines inbetween. The
> biggest problem is ringing, I guess.

I am currently experimenting with a special post processor which removes
blocking almost completely and ringing substantially while not blurring
high frequency parts.
It is damn slow (several seconds per frame) still but not optimized in
any way.

> Again, segmentation might somewhat help, in combination wth adaptive
> quatnization, but also specialized pre- and postprocessing would be
> interesting to do.

bis besser,
Tobias