[XviD-devel] Xvid v's H.264/AVC

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue Jul 6 14:22:17 CEST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Daniel Larkin wrote:

> Xvid Experts,
>
> Firstly sorry for the newbie-ness of this question, but:
>
> I was wondering how does Xvid compare against say 1) H.264/AVC Baseline/Main

can't say anything about that. But with AVC being the "successor" or
MPEG-4, a good implementation should beat XviD.

> 2) MPEG-4 SP in terms of compression, visual quality and complexity?

XviD is MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile, and a rather good implementation
of it. Since XviD of course also has all features of Simple Profile (in a
rather good implementation), you can simply check yourself, but encoding
with XviD twice, once without B-frames, without GMC, without QPel. And
once with them, or rather, a good combination of them.

If you really do, please post the results, since I guess we're always
interested in such benchmarks as well.

The difference between SP and ASP in compression, visual impression and
speed depends quite much on the input material. There are some clips where
B-frames do wonders, and some where they don't help at all. The same for
QPel (e.g. for MPEG-2 input like DVDs it's known not to help not much, if
at all). GMC hardly ever helps, and it computationally very expensive.
I know that there are reports that ASP has X dB gain over SP in PSNR, or
saves Y% in bitrate, but those are not reliable. It depends on the input
too much.