[XviD-devel] Internal benchmark mode, test pattern generator

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue Jul 6 15:08:12 CEST 2004

Hi,

another thing, which I always had plans for, but never found the impulse
to do. Maybe somebody else jumps in: internal/official benchmarking

At the moment, everybody uses his own way of benchmarking and debugging,
or doesn't at all. There should be standard way of doing this, and that
could be _internal_ to the codec, e.g. by an internal test pattern
generator.

Of course, this is not a benchmark for "what are the best parameters for
DVDs", but at least for general speed and PSNR stuff. Create simple
geometrical and/or textured patterns, moving in a not-too-linear way and
measure encoding speed and PSNR. By this, there would finally be a way to
compare new versions again old ones, in particular to find newly
introduced bugs before a version makes it into the public. Comparing XviD
on different hardware plattforms and with different compilers would be
easier as well.
If the pattern is somewhat resolution independent, we could also see how
well XviD scales with resolution.

I'm sure there is GPLed test pattern code to be reused somewhere
out there in the net.

chl