[XviD-devel] Xvid v's H.264/AVC

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Jul 7 09:09:35 CEST 2004

Hi,

I believe that the algorithm how halfpel positions are calculated plays
a significant role.

If you switch XviD to Qpel mode, but disallow any true Qpel position (so
only Hpel positions, but measured in Qpel units), then not only the number
of motion bits gets larger compared to true Hpel (that's clear, because
the vectors are twice as long), but also the texture bits increase. At
least, that's the last numbers I had.
That I can only explain by the fact that in Qpel mode, halfpel
interpolation doesn't emulate MPEG2 whereas the Hpel-mode mode does.

If you e.g. reencode an MPEG2 clip with exactly the same motion vectors
and texture information as in MPEG2, once with Hpel only and once with
Qpel, the Hpel version should be much closer to the original.

chl

P.S. If anyone is interested in testing himself, there are publically (and
legally) available movies in MPEG2 format (and other formats) at
www.archive.org, e.g.
http://www.archive.org/download/HOT_PRELINGER/HOT_PRELINGER_DVD_MPEG2.mpeg
(90MB) but also shorter ones, so the others can reproduce the results
without everyone having to buy a "Matrix" DVD.