[XviD-devel] Fairly stupid xvid API newbie question

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Jul 11 11:06:43 CEST 2004

Hi,

nice test application. If you decide to release the source as GPL, we
might include it into the examples-dir.

>From the m4v output (e.g. with mplayer test.m4v  -lavdopts debug=1
you could see that it was a ratecontrol problem (quantized kept jumping
from 1 to 31) which was caused by wrong entries in one of the xvid
structs.
For xvid, you have to set all unused values in all structures to 0, or the
result can be unexpected. Best is to simply initialize everything to 0
before writing the values, like

  xvid_enc_frame_t        frame;
  xvid_enc_stats_t        stats;
  memset(&frame,0x00,sizeof(frame));
  memset(&stats,0x00,sizeof(stats));
  stats.version = XVID_VERSION;
  frame.version = XVID_VERSION;

and the same in the constructor etc.
  memset(&_xvid_1pass,0x00,sizeof(_xvid_1pass));
  memset(&_xvid_enc,0x00,sizeof(_xvid_enc));
  memset(&_xvid_plugins,0x00,sizeof(_xvid_plugins));

Then it worked for me.

chl