[XviD-devel] Question about bvop decoding

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Mon Jul 19 21:13:38 CEST 2004

Michael Militzer (michael at xvid.org) wrote:
> only 3% of total blocks are interpolated?? You mean 3% of the total blocks
> in a sequence or 3% of all B_VOP blocks?

My previous debug patch was counting interpolated 16x16 blocks
out of total number of blocks.

Total number of blocks were counted in decoder_output.

> In any case, I think the function decoder_bf_interpolate_mbinter should be
> called more often because it is used for mode DIRECT and mode INTERPOLATE
> MBs (iirc). And direct coded MBs should be dominating (probably around 70%
> or more of the total B_VOP MBs).

Absolutly right, counting only bframe blocks, i get this:
xvid: 19507156 interpolated blocks out of 25299600 total bvop blocks

This represents 77.10% of bvop blocks.

Now we agree on numbers, is there something that can explain
why a function that just calls other functions does spend 14%
of CPU cycles ? Just in case you wonder, it's not cumulated
CPU cycles, it's self CPU cycles.

--
Edouard Gomez