[XviD-devel] input format

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Nov 3 19:19:35 CET 2004

xvid_encraw takes either "YUV within PGM" or "raw YUV" as input, you can
specify which to use by the "-type" command line parameter. 0=yuv, 1=pgm

raw YUV does't have information on frame size in them, you have to know it
in advance. For "YUV within PGM" each frame has a short header with
the framesize (and some other data) in it.

raw PGM is more or less a homebrewn format, you can create files yourself
e.g. with mplayer's pgm output (just 'cat' all output PGM into one big
file), or with ffmpeg.

raw YUV is more common for download from the internet, e.g. ".qcif" are
raw YUV files of the fixed size 176x144 and ".cif" are 352x288 (so qcif is
one _q_uarter the pixels of cif).

So, if you have a .qcif file, using

xvid_encraw -type 0 -w 176 -h 144 -i inputfile.qcif -o outputfile.m4v

should give you useful operation, and output like

xvid_encraw - raw mpeg4 bitstream encoder written by Christoph Lampert
2002-2003

    0: key=2, time=      5, len=    8006 | type=I, quant=  2, len=    8006
    1: key=0, time=     10, len=     507 | type=P, quant=  2, len=     507
    2: key=0, time=      9, len=     410 | type=P, quant=  2, len=     410
    3: key=0, time=      8, len=     344 | type=P, quant=  2, len=     344
    4: key=0, time=      8, len=     318 | type=P, quant=  2, len=     318
  869: key=0, time=      8, len=     284 | type=P, quant=  2, len=     284
   -1: key=0, time=      0, len=      -5
Tot: enctime(ms) =8707.51,               length(bytes) = 1008509
Avg: enctime(ms) =  10.01, fps =  99.91, length(bytes) =    1159

gruel