[XviD-devel] testing process

Tom Jacobs T.R.Jacobs at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 15:12:36 CEST 2004

hi

i have a few probs with using xvid_encraw. firstly my implementation is not
for x86 it is for a simplescalar architecture which is run on a simulator
on my x86 Linux box. xvid_encraw doesn't seam to like being compiled with
my compiler ( i dont think it is linking with any of the other xvid stuff,
it complains that nothing is declared). i think this may be because i
installed/got libxvidcore. is there away of doing the testing separate from
the encoding? so i can encode on the simulator and then use normal x86 tools
to test the output?

when looking at my results i wont quite have the 1:1 copy for my single
thread version (although it is just a macro switch away ;) this is because
i have slightly modified get_pmvs2 and get_pmvdata2. this was done so that
it never did the prediction from the left MB it used top left instead. pmvs
have although been reevaluated with the correct MB so that the decoding can
be done correctly. not sure how much that has made sense but baasically the
search is done with a 'wrong' prediction which doesn't use the left MB.

due to this the single threaded wont be the same as the stock xvid code. all
the extra threads although do produce the same file as this single threaded
version.

so what i am trying to show is that a) my modification at single thread
doesn't have a great detrimental affect on the encoder, and once this is
acceptable b) show that by using more threads a huge complexity reduction
can be achieved

hope all that makes sense

thanks for your help

Tom