[XviD-devel] testing process

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Oct 25 16:40:24 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Tom Jacobs wrote:
> i have a few probs with using xvid_encraw. firstly my implementation is not
> for x86 it is for a simplescalar architecture which is run on a simulator
> on my x86 Linux box. xvid_encraw doesn't seam to like being compiled with
> my compiler ( i dont think it is linking with any of the other xvid stuff,
> it complains that nothing is declared).

xvid_encraw is a very simple application, it just reads from
standard input, initializes some structures and calls the XviD-library.
If you got XviD compiled (or simulated or so), xvid_encraw should
definitely compile somehow as well. If not, you can write whatever
encoding application you want, of course. xvid_encraw is mainly meant as a
sceleton to show how this could be done.

> i think this may be because i
> installed/got libxvidcore. is there away of doing the testing separate from
> the encoding? so i can encode on the simulator and then use normal x86 tools
> to test the output?

What exactly is the output of your simulator, and what do you want to
test? XviD library has a builtin PSNR calculation, that should be working
independently of xvid_encraw. You don't have to store the resulting MPEG-4
stream or really decode it again.

> so what i am trying to show is that a) my modification at single thread
> doesn't have a great detrimental affect on the encoder, and once this is
> acceptable b) show that by using more threads a huge complexity reduction
> can be achieved

Point a) I believe, point b) I don't ;-)