[XviD-devel] SIGSEGV in interpolate8x8_halfpel_hv_xmm

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Tue Feb 1 20:44:34 CET 2005

Michael Militzer (michael at xvid.org) wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> personally, I have never come across such a problem. Also, I believe no one
> ever before reported such a fault. Have you tried to encode some sequence
> with the xvid_encraw example encoder, which is included in the XviD source
> package? Do you experience the same problems or is the segfault specific
> to mp4live? On what processor/hardware were you running XviD btw?
>
> Have you tried on a different system as well? Since the fault seems not
> reproduceable and hasn't been reported ever before (afaict), this could also
> likely be a hardware fault, e.g. a faulty RAM module. This is also possible
> even if you never experienced any similar faults with other software.
>
> bye,
> Michael

XviD passes successfully lot of  tests using valgrind which is excellent
at detecting memory access errors.

I've seen lot of segfaults like that when for some reason, ME data isn't
fully initalized and so after some random time, some comparison operator
reads some page outside the process pages.

The best  way to  debug this  is to run  xvid_encraw into  valgrind, and
report back the complete output. It will probably show some weird vector
value.

--
Edouard Gomez