[XviD-devel] 8bit greyscale

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue Mar 15 17:51:27 CET 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Michael Militzer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there's a greyscale encoding option in XVID already for a long time (and
> such an option also exists in the VfW GUI). If the XVID_VOP_GREYSCALE flag
> is set, chroma information is dropped in the encoder. That should be
> sufficient I think - there's no need to set U and V to 128 in colorspace
> conversion if the chroma information is later omitted anyway...

Yes, I know about the GREYSCALE flag (wasn't it me who added it? I
don't remember). But I didn't mean only encoding at greyscale (possibly
from color input), but about using only planar 8bit greyscale as input
colorspace. It seems that there is no possiblity to feed that directly
into XviD without padding it with 128s, although it seems that some
cameras can produce it.

Internally, one can of course use XVID_CSP_USER and set U and V point to
something constant, but it seems that the VfW-GUI doesn't accept 8bit
input in that way.