[XviD-devel] Qeustion about encoding rgba images.

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Wed May 11 01:17:44 CEST 2005

Hi,

right, the MPEG-4 standard allows coding of alpha channels - however not in
all profiles. XviD just supports the MPEG-4 simple and advanced simple
profiles and does _not_ support proper coding of alpha channels.

You can use input images with a alpha channel (e.g. XVID_CSP_RGBA) but upon
conversion into YV12, XviD's internal colorspace, the alpha channel will be
_omitted_ by XviD. Therefore, the alpha plane also cannot be reconstructed
anymore at the decoder side then...

If you really need alpha channels, you could either try adding support for
them to XviD yourself or you could have a look at the MPEG-4 reference soft-
ware (since I'm not aware of any popular MPEG-4 encoder implementation
offering support for proper alpha channel coding).

bye,
Michael

Quoting MAILER-DAEMON at edu.bnhof.de: