[XviD-devel] Porting Xvid for use in a Real-Time Videoconferencing System

Michael Weiss mjw at pobox.com
Tue Sep 13 22:57:41 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am taking a real-time embedded systems graduate class at a
university.  A partner and I are planning on developing a real-time
videoconferencing system, and we'd like to employ MPEG-4
compression.  The Xvid codec looks wonderful, and I would like to
begin studying it to see if it will be feasible for me to port it to
VxWorks, the Real Time OS that we will be using.  I would like to
solicit any comments or assistance you may be able to offer.  For
example, does it sound very difficult, too time consuming for a
semester project, do you have any experience VxWork?, what is porting
this code liable to be like? , etc.

I tried an experiment where I took an input stream off the net that
claimed to be YVU12 and encoded it using the xvid_encraw.  Then I
tried to play it back with the Quicktime and Real players, but they
didn't recognize it as a valid MP4 file.  Any ideas on that?

Thank you so much for your help--I really appreciate it.

Michael Weiss