[XviD-devel] XviD rate control

Dmitry Orlov idman at inbox.ru
Sat Sep 24 16:18:43 CEST 2005

Hello XviD-Devel,

 I am student of MSU, Graphics and Multimedia Lab
 (http://graphics.cs.msu.su/index.en.html). I am investingating
 rate control algorithms of MPEG4 video codecs. I had read some
 papers about p-domain rate control (Zhihai He, "p-domain
 source modelling and rate control..", Michael Militzer "Improved
 p-domain Rate Control for MPEG-4.."), and, as I had understood, the
 single-pass p-domain rate control algorithm is implemented in XviD video codec.

 But, in the same time, Mr Michael Militzer said that the rate control
 algorithm implemented in XviD is rather simple and there is no
 macroblock-level control realized (see
 http://edu.bnhof.de/pipermail/xvid-devel/2005-May/005077.html )

 Please tell me, is this method implemented in XviD, and if it is
 so, could you help me to locate the implementation of p-domain rate
 controller in the source code of XviD ?

--
Best regards,
 Dmitry Orlov                          mailto:idman at inbox.ru